Friday, December 5, 2008

Smoking Vs Fart

Re the smoking after the hash: I hear you, brother!

I spend half my time during the on-afters backing away from or circling upwind from the puffers. It’s usually a futile battle. A few of them know I can’t stand the smoke so they hold their cigarettes up behind them as if that will prevent the smoke from drifting. At least those few give a half-hearted try to shield their non-smoking friends from sharing. Most smokers merrily puff away oblivious to those around them. Then they flick the toxic remnant on the ground to smolder

I see smoking as the equivalent of a ten-minute-long fart. And when one farter fires up a fart, the farter next to him gets the urge to fire up his own ten-minute fart. And so on and so on. It becomes a chain reaction. And the fart odor fixes itself into the hair and clothing of everyone nearby. You carry the noxious reminder home with you and make a bee-line for the shower, slam-dunking your contaminated clothing into the laundry hamper along the way. That’s how I see smoking.

Don’t get me wrong. A loud fart in the circle can be great comedy. I can put up with that. Or an exploding cigar. That’s a smoking style I can appreciate.

All you can do is hope the smoker will give up the habit or move away. But for every smoker who quits smoking or moves away, another smoker invariably arrives to take his/her place.
Minnesota last year outlawed smoking in bars and restaurants. That’s some consolation. I’m usually the first one to suggest heading inside to some guaranteed smoke-free air. During our cold winters the circles generally move along quickly and we head for a warm bar/restaurant. During our warm summers, however, the puffers like to linger next to the ice chest long after the circle ends.

Article from Pooper Scooper

No comments: